Wednesday, November 4, 2009

MOON – DON’T MISS THIS ONE

moon_poster If what I read on the internet is true, one of my favorite movies this year, Moon, will be out on DVD in a few days.  In the vein of classics like Silent Running and Alien, this is one of those really thoughtful Sci-fi films in which the main characters aren’t stoic astronauts, but everyday people placed into outer space.  It’s the first major picture by Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie.  Sam Rockwell plays the lead and Kevin Spacey voiceovers as the HAL-like robot.  For whatever reason, it had a very small release in the US, and I stumbled into it while in London.  Check out the trailer.

I love how the set design looks a little dated, almost like the ship was made in the 80’s by GM, held together for 20 years with duct tape and string.  In an age where Sci-fi is synonymous with massive budgets and explosions, simplicity was the driving force here.  A great script, confined to a small space station.  Moon plays more like Robinson Crusoe than Star Trek. 

The soundtrack was scored by Clint Mansell, who I think is one of the best film composers in the business.  He’s worked on most of Darren Aronofsky’s films (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, the Wrestler) and acts almost as the 4th character in this one, reinforcing the cold distance and isolation.  Some kind soul uploaded the tracks to youtube and I made the playlist below (or here).  If I ever muster up the courage and buy that keyboard, I’ll have to give this one a try.

Check out the movie, You won’t be disappointed.  and if you know any other great flicks that I might have missed, drop me a line.

_Alexander

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw A Serious Man on Friday. Worth checking out as you may have expected.

Also, just FYI, it looks as though the magic password for me to leave this comment is "tahums".

Interesting.