Thursday, June 11, 2009

EIGHTEEN WEEKS AND COUNTING

IMG_3792

It began on April Fool’s day when I handed over the $125 for registration.  Two months later, I’m no longer looking at a distant race that seems too far off to be real.  We’re 18 weeks away, the amount of time most recommend you dedicate to training.  Mostly pulling from the Runner’s World Rookie Marathon Training Plan, I tweaked it a bit to have my rest days on Saturdays and long runs on Sundays.

Training Schedule

While I have been running regularly, it’s time to drop the run-when-I-feel-like-it attitude for a more serious, get-your-ass-out-of-bed-you-can-do-anything  mindset.  In the meantime, I though I’d share a few thoughts on training so far.

1. The attitude best suited for marathoning lends itself to injury rather than success.

By that I mean the never-say-die attitude will get you across the finish line but it will also lead to overtraining and injury.  The hardest lesson so far has been that I need to slowly increase my miles, stretch a lot and take days off.

2.  The Mesa Trail is one of the most beautiful trials I’ve ever had the pleasure of running.

From a thin single-track weaving around massive trees in a deep forest to jumping creeks, and jogging wide open fields, it’s one that I’ll be frequenting this summer

MesaTrail

via http://www.flickr.com/photos/theslimobject/3570319996/

3. Keep the shoes new, you’re worth it.

Compared to most other sports I love, running is barely a blip on the financial radar.  So why is it I try squeeze another month of miles on the tired cushioning of my Mizunos?  If my ailing hips are any indication of this wisdom, I'm quickly learning that a new set of kicks every couple of months is a must.

4. Run New  Paths

Is it a Frost-like metaphor for the deep spiritual journey that is running?  Not this time.  I just think it’s fun to map out a new run as often as possible.  Keep it fresh, ya know?

4. Don’t underestimate a little caffeine.

I’m quickly learning that the gels, shot blocks, and sport beans can be the deciding factor between getting through a run and enjoying it.  I’m also finding that the extra shot of caffeine really puts me over the top. Try it out.

 

Until next time.

No comments: