Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Do Not Ride the Train. Drive the Bus.

A realization has been made.  No one is keeping score on my life.  Sure, people will look after me.  Friends and family will help me if I am need.  I love them and they love me.  But when it comes to achieving greatness, whatever your definition, that drive must come from within.  I must become my own harshest critic and fiercest advocate, continually questioning the validity of my path.  Because if I don't, who will?

 

There was a point in my life where I was just trying to get by.  Work, friends, even the city in which I was living produced a daily struggle.  A few more months, and it might have gotten the best of me.  I might have stopped asking myself the big questions, bought the train ticket and waited to see where it took me.  Now I sit at my desk, unable to sleep, struggling to decide which ambitious plan should deserve my foremost attention.  And it feels great. 

 

Do not ride the train.  Drive the bus.

 

Of course, late night musings on a keyboard can only be a starting point.  Indeed, actions do speak louder than words.  While I'm not typically a scientific man, I'll organize these actions into two categories, inputs and outputs.  What am I giving myself to produce greatness?  Do I actively seek stimulation?  I need true friends.  I need art.  I need inspiring authors.  I need food.  And don't be afraid to ask, "What am I taking in that only hinders my progress?"  It is a difficult but essential question.

 

From this, I can mash it all together, the physical, the mental, and the emotional inputs.  I can use it to make a better me. I can use it to surprise even myself.  Because if I never exceed my own expectations, the bar  wouldn't be seen as low, it need not be there at all.

 

No, we'll set the point of success at "immeasurably high".  It'll be more fun that way.  I'm sure of it.

No comments: